How to Get Rid of Flies from your Home and Business Premises
Have you just noticed that annoying flies have appeared in your bedroom, living room, bathroom, kitchen or commercial spaces? If you don’t take proper steps, the problem may get worse in the warmer months such as spring and/or summer.
Do you want to learn how to get a fly out of your room? You know they are unsightly and give a bad image to your visitors or even at your commercial premises?
Did you answer yes to all these questions (or to the majority)? Read on as we bring you the most complete information about what they are, the causes of their appearance and how to eliminate flies from your home and commercial premises.
Flies are not harmful. However, they can be annoying and unpleasant, especially if they have invaded your home or are giving your business a bad image. Coexistence of humans and flies are one of the most detestable relationships. Worse still, getting rid of them can be a real headache.
If you want to keep the flies away from you, your room and your entire house, then you should take some extermination and preventive measures.
Do you want to know how to keep flies away from you and your room? Re on and follow the suggested steps in the article.
Why do I have flies around me?
In the first place, to think about how to eliminate flies and other insects, we must thoroughly understand their modus vivendi. We have to know what kind of insect we are talking about, what attracts it, what it feeds on and, ultimately, why it is coexisting with us in our premises. Let’s see below everything we need to know about flies.
Flies: The most annoying insect in the world
Flies are one of the most widespread insects on the face of the earth. You can find them practically anywhere in the world. They tend to be annoying in addition to being carriers of pathogens that affect the health of humans due to their unhealthy habits.
The morphology of the mouthparts of the flies makes it impossible for them to bite or chew. To feed themselves, they use a trumpet-shaped alimentary canal that serves to suck food in liquid form. In order to eat food in a solid state, the flies regurgitate saliva to help decompose the food and thus be able to suck it.
In addition to contaminating the food with their saliva, flies have the bad habit of defecating in the same place. By flying to a new place and perching with their legs, which have touched all kinds of dirt, decaying food, liquids, fecal matter, etc., they carry with them all kinds of germs, bacteria, viruses, and diseases.
What attracts flies?
Like all living things, flies move to places where they can find a source of food and shelter. That is why it is common to find flies in:
- Places that there is low or no cleaning.
- Sites where there are forgotten foods.
- Places where the fecal matter of animals exists.
- Other places where organic matter decomposes.
Likewise, and like many other insects, flies have positive phototaxis, characteristics of the cells that make flies feel attracted to light sources.
Temperature and humidity are also two important factors. The ideal habitat for the home flies are homes with medium temperature and humidity. That is why you do not usually see flies in winter (they seek refuge until temperatures increase). Meanwhile, in spring-summer, they proliferate.
How to fight the flies
There are different ways to kill flies. Next, we will see the most common forms of containment, elimination and prevention, the products and machinery used at the professional level and some home remedies for flies. Take paper and pencil and let’s get started!
Methods to keep flies away from you and your room
Method 1: Catching or killing the flies
- Use paper for flies. If you really have a fly problem, put the flypaper in your room to keep them away. Although it will not look nice, it will definitely do the job. Hang it under the sunlight and away from the wind to make it more effective.
- Use fly traps. Place fly traps outside your window or in your yard to catch the annoying creatures. But do not put them in your room, they could be quite fragrant and the odor will soon overwhelm your home.
- Hang transparent plastic bags half filled with water near your doors and windows. This way, the water in the bags will reflect the light and make the flies feel disoriented and will not be able to enter your house.
- Take advantage of the spiders. If you have observed one or two spiders in the corner of your room or near your window hanging from the sky, live and let them live. While they are not dangerous spiders, they will help kill the flies and keep your room safe from these annoying creatures. The next time you see a spider in your room, ask yourself if you really need to kill it.
- Use a flyswatter. If you see a fly, you can use the fly swatter to end your suffering. Just place the head of the fly swatter on the fly and use your wrist to tap the fly. Although it is not a good long-term solution, it will work very well if a fly approaches you or if you see a fly entering your room uninvited.
Method 2: Adapt your environment
- Close your windows and doors. If you want to keep the flies away from you and your room, then you must close your windows and doors that could let the flies enter. In the case when you have glass over your window or door, then you can leave it open, as long as it does not have a crack or hole. If a fly is buzzing in your room, open your door or window until it comes out and then closes it again.
- Keep the food away from the flies. Cover your food and protect it from flies if you keep it in your room or in the kitchen of your house. They love the smell of sweet or plentiful food and will try to get as close as possible to your food.
Here are some tips to cover your food:
- When you have cooked a portion of food, keep the leftover ingredients or extra portions before you start eating or you could attract flies.
- When you finish eating, wash your dishes immediately to avoid food particles attracting flies.
- If you are leaving a separate meal, make sure all containers are hermetically sealed.
- Obviously, flies love fruits. Do not leave your fruits exposed, cover them with a muslin cloth bag.
- Be especially careful in keeping the meat away from the flies. Flies especially love the smell of cooked meat. When you are cooking meat, be sure to keep any leftovers and wash your dishes when finished. In case you need to leave an open door while cooking the meat, put a fan in the open door, this will scare the flies. When you are having an outdoor barbecue, make sure you have your doors and windows closed.
- Collect the excrement of your pet. If you have a cat and the waste box is in your room, make sure you pick up the contents at least once a day. Then, throw the remains in an outside container or dumpster to keep the flies away from your home. In case you have a dog, be sure to throw the poop in a closed container that is preferably outside your home. If you have a yard, try to prevent your dog from pooping in the yard or this will attract more flies.
- Closely close your garbage cans. Make sure that the lids are firmly placed in the garbage cans of your room. And also, ensure that they have an outer bag to prevent food or other particles from sticking to the inside of the garbage can. This could help keep flies away from your environment.
- Dry any extra water from your room. Flies love humidity, so you should make sure you do not leave puddles of water in your room after taking a shower or leaving wet gym clothes lying on your floor. Do not leave containers of water open. Try to prevent water from collecting in your room or you and your room will attract more flies.
Tips and advice
It may seem obvious but in reality, the best way to keep flies, insects or any kind of animal that can become a nuisance, is to thoroughly cleanse and adapt the premises. It is the most effective and economical way.
We recommend that you leave the cleaning and sanitation of your home or business in the hands of professionals. This way, you will have a guarantee of good service.
It is important to make a complete cleaning of bathrooms, kitchen and other spaces that may be in your place (depending on the characteristics of the same), as well as proper waste management (mainly garbage and expired foods that are beginning their decomposition process).
If you eliminate the habitat of the flies they will go to live in a less aggressive place where they can feed and live fully.
Method 3: How to take preventive measures against flies
- Look for leaks in your house. Sealing your room will help you save energy and keep flies away. Check the weatherstrips and the caulking of your windows and doors to make sure they do not have cracks and replace them if necessary. Look for leaks in the inlets of the pipes, as in the one of your air conditioning unit. Fill any space you find with an expandable foam can.
- Replace any broken screen in windows or doors. Check if your screens have holes or breaks. Even if they are small, they could be large enough to let the flies enter. Replace them or cover them with adhesive tape to have a temporary solution and see the difference it makes. Make sure that the edges of the screens fit perfectly and that there is no space for the flies to pass.
- Use plants or herbs to repel flies. There are many herbs and plants that repel flies. Therefore, consider making a garden in your room and watch as it scares the annoying flies. Below, you will see some plants and herbs that will help you keep flies away:
- Basil. Plant basil outside, near your room and watch the flies fly away. Not only will it stop the flies, but it will also stop the mosquitoes. It can also be a great addition to any food.
- Bay leaf. You can grow this outside during the summer. However, you must take the plant to your room during the winter to scare the flies. You can also place a container with dried bay leaves in your room to keep flies away.
- Garlic: It really is not a trick to kill the flies but rather to keep them away. The intense smell of garlic repels them. However, it is not necessary to cut it. Just remove the skin and distribute it in the areas where you need/want to keep the flies away.
- Lavender. Lavender not only has a delicious aroma, but it will also scare the flies. You can grind it into powder and sprinkle it on your furniture, sew it in a container or in the garden of your kitchen.
- Mint. Place a mint plant in your room and scare away fleas, ants and flies.
- Tansy is another herb known for repelling flies, ants, and fleas.
- Get a dog. Dogs are not only cute and adorable, but they also love to eat flies. Consider getting a dog not only to add some fun to your life but also to get rid of the annoying flies.
- Get a cat. Cats are adorable, cute and love to hit and fight with flies. A bonus: it is completely adorable when you see the cats trying to fight with the flies.
Tips and warnings
Incense may be your best bet if you also want your room to have a better aroma. However, you should not let young children light the incense.
If you go outdoors, the electric flyswatter could hurt and cause fatal injuries to squirrels and birds.
Read more: water bug vs cockroach
Method 4: Exterminate flies professionally
There are types of premises that, by their very nature, cleaning is not enough to exterminate flies. This is the case of homes nearby or commercial premises. For example, these include restaurants that are located in places with high humidity and temperatures or especially those shops were food, such as grocery markets, butchers, coffee shops, among others, are processed, exposed or consumed.
In these cases, the question of how to eliminate flies goes beyond cleaning. It happens to become a problem to be solved by calling in professionals in your area or from the internet.
Devices used in exterminating flies and other insects
Luckily, there are different environmental health products and machinery available to small and large business premises. This is the case of professional devices to exterminate flies. Currently, there are two main types of devices that are often confused but are very different in terms of performance and operation.
Apparently, an insect-attracting device attracts the fly with ultraviolet light. The death of the insect is produced by an electric shock. Although it kills the fly instantly, it does not do so cleanly since. There are usually remains of legs or wings in the place where the device has been installed.
Like the insect killer, the insect attractor attracts the insect in question by ultraviolet light emitted by tubes. However, in this case, the device includes an adhesive plate (with food to attract the insect) to which the fly adheres and eventually dies. This system reduces to the maximum the possibility of contamination by a detachment of part of the insect. Besides, it is more effective.
The use of one or the other will depend on the area where you want to use it. If you need a flytrap for outdoor use in areas such as terraces, windows, doors, etc., you can use an insect driver. The problem with this device is that, as we said before, it does not retain the insect, so it does not turn out to be a completely hygienic procedure. In addition, since some parts of the flies are detached in the process of electrocution and remain in suspension, they can break into kitchens or other places where food is processed. On the other hand, many users find the sound of electrocution annoying.
All these make the insect catcher the preferred device used by professionals to kill flies both inside and outside. This device has proven to be highly effective in killing flies in all types of commercial premises in a 100% hygienic way. The insect catchers are hygienic, effective and respectful with the environment. Its main features are:
- They do not emit noise. Unlike the insect killer, the insect catcher does not make any noise since the electric discharge is not used as a remedy against flies.
- Safe light for human beings.
- It does not produce electric shocks.
- The capture of the insect by means of an adhesive plate. Eliminates the possibility that the insect or part of it is on the outside contaminating the surrounding environment.
- Discreet and elegant.
We hope this article has been useful and have solved all your doubts about how to eliminate flies and other insects in your homes and commercial premises. Remember that the elimination of this and other insects and pests is fundamental both for the good health of your family, your customers and for the reputation of your business.
Don’t hesitate to drop your comments on this article and also share it on your social networks.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why do I have flies around me?
- 2 What attracts flies?
- 3 How to fight the flies
- 4 Methods to keep flies away from you and your room
- 5 Method 1: Catching or killing the flies
- 6 Method 2: Adapt your environment
- 7 Method 3: How to take preventive measures against flies
- 8 Method 4: Exterminate flies professionally
- 9 Devices used in exterminating flies and other insects